Friday, September 4, 2009

Family Favorites Friday

Probably our family's favorite meal is homemade chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes and hot rolls. Lots of starch, huh? But it's so good! And we don't have them often.



They are always on the menu at Thanksgiving and Christmas though. It just would not be the same if these items were missing. We could do without the turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, the desserts etc. as long as we have chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes and rolls.



Since it was cool yesterday I thought I make some and invite Daughter and her family for supper. For dessert I baked Melinda's Pineapple Pudding Cake. The cake is excellent! If you've not ever visited Melinda's blog - Mickey and Me - you really need to. She has the cutest dog named Bob. I really think he's Smoke's cousin. Check out his pictures and you'll see why.

Unfortunately I didn't extend the invitation to Daughter soon enough and she'd already made plans to help out at the race track cleaning the concession stand. Not to worry though. G1 came for supper and took home a "care package" for the rest of the family.

I can't give you an exact recipe for the noodles because I just have to do it. It only takes eggs, flour, salt and pepper. I mix it all up, roll it out and cut it long-ways with a noodle cutter I bought years ago at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. Then I use a pizza cutter and cut them the other way. You can tell by the picture that I don't cut a very straight line with the pizza cutter. The noodles dry all day and are then dropped into boiling chicken broth. I cook them for about 15 minutes, then add the shredded chicken and cook for a couple of hours or so.

I can give you the recipe for the rolls though. I've had that recipe for years - way before bread makers came on the scene. For years I made them by hand but now I use the same recipe in the bread machine, adding the ingredients in the order the machine's instructions call for.

Butterhorns

1 package dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1/2 cup milk, scalded
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (I have used bread flour and it works just as well)

If making them by hand the instructions are:

Sprinkle yeast into water. Let stand a few minutes. Stir to dissolve. Pour hot milk over butter, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm, then add yeast, egg and half of the flour. Beat well. Add enough more flour to make a dough that doesn't stick to the bowl. Turn out on floured board and knead lightly. Put in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise until dough doubles - about 1 hour. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into 12-inch circles and cut each circle into 12 pie-shaped pieces. Roll them from the wide end and place the pointed side down onto greased baking sheets. Let rise for 30 minutes. Then pop them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Brush with butter or margarine as soon as they come out of the oven.

That's our family's favorite meal. What's yours?

3 comments:

  1. Uhhh... meatloaf and mashed potatoes and green beans. No! Wait! Home-made macaroni and cheese, you know, the kind with real cheese... Woops. no... probably homemade enchiladas.... shoot. roast lamb and mint jelly.... (honey, what's for dinner?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the kids were little, they enjoyed a good cheese stuffed meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn and some kind of bread...always had to have bread. I stopped eating meat a few years ago and now it's just hubby and me. I love a good salad and he eats just about anything...but our favorite is pizza! I will still cook pasta and glob on some butter, then dump a can of pinto beans on top and smother it in ketsup...that was a childhood favorite, or pasta with butter and parmesan cheese! Oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. visit me ~ you've been splashed!

    ReplyDelete