Saturday, July 10, 2010

Something's Gotta Give - And SOON!


My June 29th post was about 2 little birdies' heads that we spotted in the barn swallow nest.

Five days ago I posted that it was about to get crowded because there were actually 3 little birdies in the nest.

Early yesterday morning AD hollered to come, quick! It looked like our little babies were about to take flight. They were up on the edge of the nest. Well, I didn't get there in time because they were back down in the nest by the time I got there.

This morning I did get there in time. Look at how those scrawny little babies have filled out in just a matter of about a week!

But what's this!?!?!? There are actually FOUR babies in the nest! Something definitely has to give - and soon.

I know they're getting ready to fly away and find new homes. It will be a bittersweet time for their momma - and AD and me, too!

PS. This next little bit about the baby that is the second from the left in the nest. It's a teensy bit graphic so feel free if you just want to skip this next part.

Just after I turned my camera off and put it down, #2 little birdie turned around, stuck his teeny, tiny hiney over the edge and - you guessed it! - did a #2 on the patio below. AD said that baby's momma didn't raise no dummy. There's no messing in her nest.

Have a great weekend, ya'll!

18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness they are so cute! Momma has been feeding them well!

    I know you guys will miss them. I'll miss these cute pictures and updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hasn't it been fun in watching their growth...just like they were your children and grandchildren.

    Stay dry - I am sure you have been getting rain like we have here...I am ready for drying out in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute photos and story! Nice to see a bird with good manners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See? House-trained by the time they are ready to fly the nest and go off on their own! What an amazing coincidence to human offspring! lol

    I can imagine this being bittersweet--glad they are grown up, sad to see them go. And four babies this whole time! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! No pooping in the house! They are so cute. I'm going to miss the pictures when they leave home! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, no dummies in that nest. Yes, I see 4 in there! Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised when I scrolled down and saw the pic with four birds! Are you sure their aren't quints up there?? lol

    Birds just do what they have to do, I guess, and it's better out of the next than in. In may I posted from our vacation at the Grand Canyon, where a raven at the train station did his little trick RIGHT ON MY HEAD. Eeewwwwwwwwweee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable !
    Those pics are so sweet !!!
    Thanks for showing them to us.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow they sure did grow fast! Must be pretty noisy up there too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toooo funny! It's crazy how fast they are growing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are adorable! I wish I had the chance to watch little birdies at my house. Something keeps getting the nests. The house finches who built a nest in a basket on my porch (suspended on a metal rail) didn't get to keep their eggs. Something got to them, I don't know how. Your birdies are so cute!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pics! I was in your neck of the woods today at Hobby Lobby and Lowe's. Hope you have a delightful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your posts on your baby birds. They sure have gotten big fast. LMHO at the last part of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I SOOO hope you are there when they take flight for the first time!!!
    How cool that they know to turn around. She has definitely trained them right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sweet lil family. xxmollye

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh those birds! LOL! They are such great pictures!

    I should see if I could get a picture of the swallows that I saw from my bathroom window - I was standing there and saw several swoop down. All I could think of was Drat! those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a full house all right! Funny how Mother Nature teaches animals better than humans sometimes! Great pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed my visit here. Come over and visit me sometime.

    ReplyDelete