Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And Now There Are Two

Yesterday AD told me to "come quick" but not to bring the camera. He'd just seen little heads a time or two poke up out of the barn swallows' nest. He didn't think I'd be able to capture them with my camera.

Truth be told, I don't think I could have either.

But today - well, that was different. When I opened the door to let the dogs out the momma bird quickly moved out of the nest in an attempt to distract me from her babies.

I watched for a minute or so and saw this little head pop up. Can you see it? Just in the very middle of the nest.

So I grabbed my camera, came back and waited patiently. Pretty soon, up the little head came again.

I waited a bit longer and two little heads popped up. You may need to click on the photo to enlarge it enough to see both of them. There's one right in the middle of the nest and one over to the right.

I can't wait for AD to get home and show him the photos. It will be exciting to watch these little ones grow.

Next year though, we're going to have to be more diligent and try to keep the adults from building another nest on the porch. It's fun to watch the little ones right now but boy do their parents leave a big mess behind!

22 comments:

  1. cute pictures. the babies are sweet but yes, the parents do a make a mess and boy, are they persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to get to see them so up close and personal. I love their cute little heads and the nest is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! those pesky barn swallows! They made for a nice blog for you... but I get very annoyed with them at my home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting news! Great photos! You will sure enjoy watching those little ones grow.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful photos. I especially like the third one that features both baby birds. Look at the tiny fuzzy head!
    They do make a mess and can be quite noisy when they get hungry!

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun. A little birdie blessing. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I bet they're chirpy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, babies!

    We had Barn Swallows right outside the back door. Ewwww! They were disgusting. I think their mess was over an inch thick by the time those babies were raised! We bought a big rubber snake to sit on the rafters but it was two or three years before they stopped trying to nest there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope we get to watch them grow along with you. Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In spite of the horrible mess, I do love having the birds nest close enough to "follow along." I keep peeking into a bush in our back yard to get a glimpse of the robin's eggs. Good pics today, I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute. We made it easy for a pair of sparrows to next on our deck....it was fine for a few years, but then they invited the entire neighborhood to join them. The deck was a very big mess. We uninvited them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so sweet. Get hubby to build you a bird house for next year. Don't tell him I suggested it though. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet. You will enjoy watching them learn to fly. ♥ Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  14. those are great pictures! I love baby birds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The will grow and soon they will be gone. I hope you get to see one (or both) take their first flight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh sweet! We have a nest of starlings in our roof. After they leave, we'll seal up the hole...but to do so now would be horrendous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed your bird growth feature today. That as a neat idea. You have more patience than me, to wait that long. I had one in a tree near the house, but I found the little eggs on the ground. Not sure what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool. So you are now their Granny also?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Howdy Sweet Lady
    Oh wow I love the photos they are great !!!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
    I have been baby bird watching for the past few months but have not had the chance to take photos as wonderful as yours .
    My Mom has really enjoyed bird watching .
    May you continue to enjoy watching the sweet little baby birds grow and catch a few more awesome images as well .
    Take care dear lady !
    Blessings with hugs from Texas
    Until next time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you did real well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these photos. Do the parents attack the dogs when they come in and out of the house?

    ReplyDelete
  22. How sweet! Our barn swallows came back to the same spot for 5 years. Nothing this year. :-(

    ReplyDelete