Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Garden Turtle and a Party

Yesterday I mentioned that I had wanted to buy something at the Affair of the Heart craft show in Tulsa a couple of weekends ago. The vendor hadn't brought it with them because their booth wasn't very large and well, the item I wanted to buy would have taken up a lot of space.

But since they are located near Oklahoma City and G5's postponed birthday party was this past weekend, we arranged to meet last Friday.

This is what they brought me - a wonderful and very large turtle sculpture made of metal.

When I first saw the turtle at their booth during the Tulsa Home and Garden Show I knew I had to have it for this little garden nook in front of our house. I can just imagine how everything is going to look next year when the hostas are bigger. (They were just tiny little sprouts last year and look how they've grown in just one season!)

We bought the fountain earlier this season and were actually looking for something a bit larger. Now I really think we need a bigger one. We'll find one sometime. I just have to be patient.

And I may just have to plan a trip to the Oklahoma City Affair of the Heart show in October (the 22nd thru the 24th in case anyone is interested). You see, this turtle has a little brother and I may just have to have him to keep this one company.

So that was Friday.

Saturday was G5's birthday party. Isn't his Tonka Truck cake cute. Son made it and G5 loved it - especially the malted milk balls in the back! In fact, all the kiddos at the party liked what the truck was hauling - and some of the grownups too.

When the party was over I drove back home just in time to bake a batch of brownies and head for the local dirt track to watch G1 and G2 race.

It was a long day and a long drive home but I had the turtle as company.

PS. In case you're looking for cute decorations for your garden and happen to be in the Oklahoma City area during the Affair of the Heart craft show, Kountry Klutter is the name of the vendor that had my turtle and they're also the ones that had the adorable balancing bugs I bought at the Tulsa Home and Garden Show.

23 comments:

  1. Oh, I do wish I lived a little closer...Would love to go to the craft show with you. Yes, I think you should go back and get all the turtle siblings for your hosta patch.

    Have a terrific Tuesday. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Gosh,
    I am so loving this turtle. We are driving home from Phoenix to Enid in the Fall, and I may be making a trip to OKC. I have a truck with a camper shell, so I can always carry back large items. I am over the top thrilled about this turtle. He would be so awesome on my pool deck.

    Guess where I am stopping this Fall. Thanks for the tip sweet friend. I love this guy.

    Have a wonderful day sweetie.

    Country hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice turtle, a bit scary though. It could be your guard turtle.

    I think it is ultra cool you are so involved with the G's. They will remember that forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like your turtle but I LOVE G5's birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unique things like the turtle always catch my eye. I'm sure he'll live ismew home!
    So nice you can be a participant in all the things the grands do...or an observer, anyway! Good for them and good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sooooo cute. I love, love the cake. Your son is quite the artist. I make my kids cakes too or now they make them. Thanks for stopping by, I've been out of touch for awhile, but slowing getting back to checking in with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turtle is cool, but that truck cake is the bees' knees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute cake!! Love your turtle too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great turtle and a fantastic cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your son made that cake?????????? OMGoodness, that is a great cake, I bet the other kids will want one for their parties. your grandson is adorable and is so blessed to have such a loving family. I know, I know, he's a little BIG blessing himself!
    The turtle is just adorable, he looks perfect in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't decide which I like best....the turtle or the cake! Both are so cute!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in awe of your son's cake making abilities! That is just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Gosh! Your son should have a bakery if he doesn't already. Amazing job on the cake.

    Your giant turtle is wonderful. I have a thing for turtles. We have lots of them here and I am constantly stopping and moving them off the road so they won't get hit.

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that turtle! And my mother-in-law would love one, too. I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for a Christimas present for her like that.
    That truck is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday to G5. That is such a cute cake and I can't believe that your son made it.
    I love the turtle and think you should have several more to keep him company.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Yep, Mr. Turtle needs a water feature that suits his size. He's just great!

    Happy birthday handsome G5, that cake is amazin'!

    Ya'll have a fantastically blessed weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the turtle. Sometimes a gift that does't take up space indoors is great. Your grandson's birthday must have been so fun. Bless you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen a lot of different turtles, but never one like this. It looks great in your yard. The little birthday fellow is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love, love, love turtles. We had 3 land turtles here in CA. growing up! Charlie, Gaylord, and Fred. I would love to have an African turle (as big as a Galapagos) but I'm afraid it would devour our garden! Thanks for sharing!

    KJ
    SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  20. now THAT'S a turtle!

    sweet birthday boy too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that turtle! In September, a town close to me will be having a craft fair. I can't wait. I love that Tonka cake. It's amazing what you can make cakes into. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The birthday boy with his cake is absolutely darling! I may have to meet you in OKC for a coffee and kolache in October. :-)

    ReplyDelete