Monday, November 9, 2009

My Hometown

I was in my hometown very early one morning last week. The stores I needed to shop in weren't open yet.

My camera was in the car so I drove around town and took pictures of some of my favorite buildings and places.

How about a tour?

This depot building used to be on the road to one of the area lakes. When I was little my family would drive out to that lake and I always loved seeing that little building. Then several (how many is "several" anyway because it was a long time ago) the depot was moved to one of the parks in town and restored. I'm glad someone had the vision to do that.


At the entrance to that same park is an amusement park for the children. It's know as the Kiddie Park and is the highlight of summer to the children in town. As a matter of fact, the Kiddie Park was in existence when I was little but at a different location. I can't remember when it was relocated to this park. My children and now my grandchildren have spent happy times riding all the rides. The very last train ride of the evening is always free.


There is a river that runs along side the park. This is looking north.


Here's a bend in the river looking the other way - kinda southeast.



This used to the be train depot in town. It now houses the Chamber of Commerce.



The Price Tower was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.


This is the old courthouse. It's where AD and I went to get our marriage license almost 40 years ago. I'm not sure what offices are in the building now.



This is now the court house but it was originally the town's post office.


The last building on the tour used to be the hospital. AD and I were both born in this hospital. When I was a teenager I volunteered as a candy striper at the hospital. It's also catty-cornered to the old court house so that's where AD and I had our blood tests done in order to get our marriage license. I'm not sure what the building is used for now.


It was fun taking these pictures. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

4 comments:

  1. Ooooooooo the river shots! I love the foggy/misty look of a river that seems to move in it's own time. Wonderful tour! Glad you took us along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID! Interesting little town where you come from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful! The park looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you took these pictures around Bartlesville.......you never know when one will be destroyed. JFK

    ReplyDelete