Monday, November 30, 2009

Farewell, Thanksgiving. . .Greetings, Christmas!


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner. Son and his family were here. Daughter's family came over. AD's mother and two sisters were also here.


AD took the last of the jalapeno peanut brittle and most of the left over cinnamon hard candy to work today. The rest of the desserts are long gone.



Did I tell you that we were having 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving this year? G1 won 6 Turkey Shoots and G2 won 4 this year. They didn't have to get all turkeys. They got a ham and some pork chops and some bacon but they brought 2 turkeys to my house. They were on the small side so I fixed both of them.

I made a batch of turkey salad the day after Thanksgiving. It's the Thanksgiving leftover that Daughter looks forward to the most and it's the main reason we always buy a big turkey. That turkey salad is gone.

Last night I made Chicken Spaghetti and substituted turkey for the chicken. It was yummy good.

This morning I'm boiling eggs to make turkey salad. That will use up the last of the turkey. I'm sure Daughter will come by after work to get some.


I put all the Fall decorations away on Saturday. Today I'm busy decorating for Christmas. Elliott has staked out his viewing spot from the blanket I keep on the couch. Smoke is standing watch above him. Dani is just busy sniffing everything.


I love poinsettias but I'm not the best at keeping them alive through the holidays. I must have gotten a really good one last year because it lasted all the way through spring and into the summer. Although it did look pretty sad at the end.

This year one of AD's sisters brought one to us. I'm going to try my best to keep this one alive for as long as I can.



My main objective today is to set up the Christmas tree and find a good place for it. There's now a love seat sitting in the place we had it last year.

I do apologize to those of you who are real tree enthusiasts. I love the smell of real Christmas trees but a real one just isn't the best choice for our house.

Another thing I really want to start today is gift wrapping. I am notorious for waiting until Christmas Eve to get that done. Don't know why but it just always works out that way for me.

When do you wrap your gifts?




7 comments:

  1. I'm one of those last-minute people. I've often started my shopping on Dec 23rd! So, I usually wrap when I buy them. If I've bought early, the wrapping waits until the tree goes up. Nowadays, that's usually a week before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to meet you! I've frozen the rest of my turkey meat, so enjoy in a couple of weeks. I don't want to get tired of it. Looks like you had a beautiful feast! I'm with you on the tree-- I don't know where I'm going to put my 6-footer artificial tree. I wanted to spare a tree, but now I've bought new furniture. I don't like the actually unpacking of the decorations, but I do feel festive once it's finished. Thanks for visiting my blog. Y'all come back for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays! Your Thanksgiving sounds and looks delicious and wonderful!

    We have an artificial tree which works well for our clan of cats and our busy schedules. At the end of the semester, I'll find a place to put it. Right now, the corner holds DVDs and my yarn crafts. *sighs* Long story.

    Wrapping presents used to take place close towards Christmas because of Jack. He like to unwrap presents so we had to put them elsewhere and out of reach. Hopefully, none of the cats will follow suit this year and we can place them UNDER the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I've missed your column and descriptions of wonderful food! I'm in love with that bread, really. We got an artificial tree two years ago (blogged about it today) and although I miss the smell, I don't miss the mess. Have fun decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dessert table had my mouth watering!
    I "try" to wrap as I buy. But it usually doesn't work out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dessert table alone is mouth watering...not to mention those rolls! I am a carb and sugar type girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, your Thanksgiving treats looked delicious! As for wrapping presents, I buy all year and wrap as I go. Much easier than the last minute dash I have been known to do in the past.

    ReplyDelete