Thursday, November 5, 2009

If You Like Peanut Butter and Chocolate

you'll love this recipe that I found over at Kate's blog Framed. She has the most wonderful recipes and she takes beautiful photos of the food she prepares.

The day before Halloween Kate posted a recipe called Halloween Brownies. One of the ingredients is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. AD, Daughter and G2 are big fans of the peanut buttery chocolate treat so I knew I had to try the recipe.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 13" x 9" pan with aluminum foil making sure it extends over the edges of the pan. GREASE/SPRAY the foil. The reason I put those words in caps is because I initially overlooked those directions. Luckily I did remember just prior to pressing the bottom layer into the pan.

Crush a 16-ounce package of Nutter Butter cookies. I put mine in the food processor.

Melt butter and combine with the cookie crumbs. I let the food processor do that for me too.


Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the GREASED/SPRAYED pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes. (I went with 8 minutes.)



While crust is baking combine sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter and vanilla together


stirring until smooth.



Chop peanut butter cups and Butterfinger candy bars.



At some point the crust will have baked the 6-8 minutes and you will have removed it from the oven.

Sprinkle chopped candy bars and chocolate chips over crust.



Pour the condensed milk/peanut butter mixture over the chocolate toppings.



I then spread the mixture evenly over the chocolate candies.



Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.



Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Once the bars are cooled, lift them out of the pan using the overlapping foil as a handle.

Peel the foil down and cut into bars.


Kate's instructions said the recipe makes 28 small or 18 large bars. I cut these into 48 pieces. My family told me that was a good thing because they are very rich.

Halloween Brownies


Kate adapted her recipe from http://www.bakeorbreak.com/


I adapted my bars from Kate's recipe. You can see her recipe and her beautiful photographs here.

1 (16 ounce) package Nutter Butter cookies, crushed into crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I didn't have quite 1/2 cup but everything turned out fine)
1 tablespoon vanilla
7 1/2 ounces peanut butter cups (about 25 miniature cups or 10 snack size cups), coarsely chopped
4 ounces Butterfinger candy bars (about 7 small candy bars), coarsely chopped (Note: I used one 5 ounce chocolate bar with Butterfinger chips in it)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13"x9" pan with aluminum foil letting the foil extend over the edges of the pan. GREASE/SPRAY foil. Please don't forget the spraying part!

Combine cookie crumbs with melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and back 6-8 minutes.

Stir sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter and vanilla together until smooth. Set aside. Sprinkle the chopped candy bars and chocolate chips over crust. Pour condensed milk/peanut butter mixture over the chocolates and spread evenly.

Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan.

Lift bars out of pan, peel back foil and cut into bars.

Prepare to indulge.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that looks too delicious. Too bad I gained 3 pounds last week and have to start my Weight Watchers back today :( I will make these for Christmas or Thanksgiving though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oh My...I'm drooling over this because my favorite is peanut butter--I can do without the chocolate very much, but peanut butter? Nevah!

    I already know I won't be able to eat these but I can make these for holiday gifts! Thank you for a wonderful and sinfully delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLEY MOLEY!!!

    that has got to be the richest dessert I have ever seen!!!

    I cant WAIT to make it!~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are just too tempting! you have the best recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to get out my notebook and copy this one down. It looks delicious. SINFUL! But delicious!

    ReplyDelete