Tuesday, October 27, 2009

3 Recipes

Last week I mentioned some recipes that I'd entered in cooking competitions during Witchy Weekend. I had some requests for the recipes so here they are.

One year I received 3rd place for Dear Abby's Pecan Pie. You can find it various places on the internet but for convenience I've linked to it here.

There are a few things that I do differently. I use light brown sugar instead of dark brown (personal taste preference) and margarine instead of butter (although butter would be yummy!). I don't usually measure my pecans. I just throw enough on to cover the pie.

For those who live in Oklahoma - I use Griffin's Crystal White Corn Syrup. For some reason the Karo brand has never worked for me - not only for this recipe but for others that I've tried. And No, I'm not related to the Griffin family - at least that I know of and assuming there is one. It's just the brand that works for me.

Another year I took 2nd place for Italian Cream Cake. The recipe I've used for a number of years can be found here. I make it exactly as shown.

The year that I managed to nab 1st place was the year I made Pasta Fagioli. The recipe I use came from a church luncheon I attended several years ago. My family has this several times over the fall and winter months.

Pasta Fagioli

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 (30 ounce) jar Ragu chunky garden-style spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and peppers
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
2 cups water
1 cup sliced celery (I leave this out because of family taste preferences)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies
1 can white Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 shredded carrot
3/4 cup dry pasta shells, cooked according to package directions

Cook ground beef, onion and garlic in a large pot (or Dutch) oven on the stove top over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain and return meat to pot. Add spaghetti sauce, broth, water, celery, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in Ro-tel, beans, carrot and cooked macaroni. Simmer about 10 minutes and serve.

I hope you enjoy one or more of these recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment